Dr Thomas Rocco is currently the Medical Director of a Medical Marijuana Evaluation Center in Warwick RI. The Medical Marijuana Evaluation Center became in 2014 and is still the only licensed facility approved and recognized by the Rhode Island Department of Health for patient evaluation and education for medical marijuana. This current Medical Marijuana Evaluation Center is regulated by and works closely with the Rhode Island Department of Health to properly educate appropriate patients with emphasis on safe and proper medical marijuana use for their chronic illnesses.
Dr. Rocco completed his undergraduate studies at The Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD. He obtained his medical degree while attending University Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School. He has completed a board certification in general surgery after training at Brown University Department of Surgery. Additional medical training includes Surgical Critical Care fellowship and Wound Care Certification.
He is also the Hospice Medical Director for Home and Hospice Visiting Nurse Services in Rhode Island. His hospice involvement has led to increased proper use of hospice patients with medical marijuana for end of life comfort and institution of waiving fees for Medical Marijuana licenses in Rhode Island for all hospice patients since 2016.
Dr. Rocco assists in a neurosurgical comprehensive practice caring for the patient that have chronic spinal pain. He is fully trained in spinal injections and is an active member of the North American Spine Society.
The summary of past and current medical involvement for Dr. Rocco following his medical/surgical training:
- UHS/Chicago Medical School: 1989 - 1993
- General Surgery Residency, Brown University Department of Surgery: 1993 - 1998
- Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Brown University Department of Surgery: 1998 - 1999
- Board Certification General Surgery, Faculty of American Board of Surgery: 2003 - present
- Wound Care Certified 2009 - present
- Hospice Medical Director, Home and Hospice Visiting Nurse Services: 2011 - present
- Medical Director, Medical Marijuana Evaluation Center, Warwick RI: 2012 - present
- Active member, North American Spine Society: 2012 - present
- Medical Director, Newport Hospital Wound Center: 2015 - present
Dr. Rocco’s volunteer contributions also include both local and abroad involvement:
- Coach/trainer of local Rhode Island youth team sport programs
- Vice President Board of Director, Portsmouth Youth Football
- Medical liaison, Africa Teacher Foundation whose goal is the improvement of youth education in Kenya and is locally supported by the University of Rhode Island.